Tuesday, April 18, 2017

When Friends Become Family

        Sometimes divorce is not just one’s parents separating, but divorcing toxic people in your life.  I never knew that at 20 years old, so many people would have been removed from my life.  And quite frankly, at 22, life is still changing as we speak.  As someone who held on to the fantasy that everyone I would ever meet in life would stay forever, it has been a hard concept to grasp that you grow apart from people.  However, I believe that God will replace what has been removed and it will be better than ever.  Ever since my mom moved back to Florida, with the exception of Christmas, I have always panicked at the thought of not having plans for the holidays.  This year was no different.

         I had already planned on coming home from school to spend Easter weekend with my sister so we could celebrate her birthday early since she’d be out of town on her real birthday.  I almost backed out of it because I thought, “Why come home when you don’t have plans for the holidays when you could just work all weekend?  Make more money girl!”  I felt bad for even considering backing out on my sister.  What changed my mind was when she texted me confirming that she was free for the outing I had planned for her.  Well that locked my travel plans into place.  A few days after, I reached out to a friend offering my story for a project that she is going to be working on.  I let her know that I would be in town the following weekend and IMMEDIATELY, we (my sister, brother in law, and I) were invited to the cookout! 

            So fast forward to Easter Sunday, I went to church and had an amazing time catching up with family friends.  I hadn’t been to my home church in months and it felt amazing to see everyone again.  A few hours after church, we drove to our friend’s house with my famous baked macaroni and cheese strapped in the back seat!  While the grill was going and people were on their way, we entertained the kids and helped out where help was needed.  More friends began to fill the home and it became a party.  There were babies everywhere, toddlers running outside with water guns, tons of Easter eggs ready to be hidden for the egg hunt and a LOT, I said a LOT, of food!  I honestly wish I would have gotten a picture of all of the food we ate, but I was big hungry and it did not even cross my mind to do so.  We had beans, greens, potatoes…okay let me stop playing!
           
            To have someone open their house up to you for the holidays, especially after wondering what the heck you’re going to do, means so much, but it doesn’t surprise me.  They pretty much know our family situation right now and to be honest, I would have truly fallen into a dark place if it were not for them, because seeing so many people post about what they are doing with their family would have been a trigger for me.  It reminds me of what used to be and is no more.  I don’t think the people who have seen and liked the pictures from Easter realize how important it was to me.  Not only were we welcomed into somebody’s home, but we connected with other people who we either just met, or had met in the past but were not close with, and then there were people that we did indeed already know and are friends with.  Either way, nobody felt like a stranger.


            We were the last to leave and I was way too tired to even attempt to drive 2 hours back to school.  So I stayed one last night in KC and got up extremely early to make it back to school.  What I took away from this holiday was that my friends have become my family.  We all came together to celebrate one holiday and it could not have gone any better!  We had great food, many laughs, desserts and an amazing unfriendly game of NERTZ.  If you don’t know what NERTZ is, it is a personal game of solitaire and a collective game of speed going on at the same time.  I could show you better than I could explain it.  And I want a rematch Nia!  I could not have asked for a better way to spend my Easter weekend 2k17 and I thank the Adgers for opening their home to so many of us!  By the way, I totally jacked these photos from my their pages!




No comments:

Post a Comment